A place to share the anguish of the Arizona sports fan.

The life of an Arizona sports fan is not an easy one. Whether it be John Paxson, Mario Ellie, Santonio Holmes, or the Lew Alcindor coin flip, Arizona sports seem to find a way to bring us pain. This is a place to talk about the good and the bad of Arizona sports.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I Hate John Paxson

I was six years old, my shaggy hair was pushed to the right, dividing my large, round head. I had on a green, button up Killer Tomatoes shirt and was sitting on the floor of my living room. My face was two feet from the screen of the television. “Danny, scoot back, you’re going to hurt your eyes,” my mom repeated. I already needed glasses; she just didn’t know that yet. I inched closer and closer to the television as the clock ticked away on the basketball game I was watching. It was game 6 of the 1993 NBA finals and the Suns were playing the Bulls. I was obsessed with the Suns and Dan Majerle was my God and they were playing the hated Michael Jordan’s Bulls. I sat there watching as a little known Bulls role player named John Paxson lined up and took a three with little time remaining and the Suns up by two. I stared as the ball spun in the air, and was just happy that Michael Jordan wasn’t the one shooting it. But it ripped the chords and went in. I cried when the Suns lost and have hated John Paxson ever since.

I thought of this moment yesterday when my sister asked, “Why are all these people so angry with Lebron James? God, people take sports so seriously, it’s ridiculous.” I see this response from non-sports fans all the time. They think it is silly to get so attached to grown men playing games.

“It’s sports hate,” I explained to her, “which is it’s own category of hate. When I say, I hate someone who plays on the Lakers, I don’t hate them in the same sense I hate someone who is a racist and kicks puppies.”

“But some people take it way too seriously.”

“Some people do, but you have to understand that people are invested in their teams. You cried at the end of Lost and those are fictional characters. Sports have real human beings doing real things.”


“They’re playing a game, the people on Lost were doing important things.”

I can only laugh at that argument. She may be right, it is kind of ridiculous to get so wrapped up in men you don’t know playing games for millions of dollars. Part of me is embarrassed that I take it so seriously. But the emotions I have with sports are genuine, and at a time in my life when I have fewer and fewer genuine emotions, that is something I want to hold onto. I can’t recapture the joy of running out to see my gifts from Santa on Christmas morning, but sports make me feel just the way I did when I was six. They make me jump out of my seat and yell at the top of my lungs. That is a rare thing and I am not going to let my brain talk me out of it because sometimes I am embarrassed by it. For all I know, John Paxson is a very nice man, but that doesn’t change the fact that every time I hear his name, I wish he was standing in front of me so I could kick him in the shin and run away.

12 comments:

  1. I have a friend that was talking about this same game today- his feelings were very similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sports, movies, or whatever it may be, I think it's important to have passion in life. It's what makes humans tick. It's what makes life interesting. Even though I enjoy watching a basketball and even though I'm not a super duper sports fanatic, I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have such a passion for this that it brings out such strong feelings. I think it's good for us to have attachments to things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm not a huge sports fan, I can still appreciate passion. It is good to have something positive to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to have something that still makes us feel like we are six and jump out of our seats and yell our lungs out. Too often as we get older we lose these things, and, in doing so, I think we lose the joy we have in life at the same time. So yell away and have fun doing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say I'm a sports fan but I know the feeling. Watching that moment happen, time slows down and you scream at the TV hoping it was all a joke. But all we can do it sigh and try to put it in the past. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that game! Man, that was the definition of devastation. I don't follow sports closely, but I think you're right when you compare sports fans' passions to fans of TV shows. I've never thought about it that way, but it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to what you're saying even though I'm not big on any sports. I agree with previous comments as well that the same thing happens in movies, books, comics, video games... I believe you helped close a gap between myself and avid sports fans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What memories I even remember the commentary. The NBC broadcaster was like “Paxton for three” “YES” lol the memories of the Chicago bulls

    Earaymo1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being an Indianapolis Colt fan, I have the same attitude about Bernie McGinnis. Even the success that my team has had, and the recent stumble, there is still something magical that happens when people come together to hope. Even if it's for a playoff run that may not end the way you wanted.

    And as far as your Suns, I was a Pacer fan but always rooted for you guys. And hated the Bulls...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for capturing something I have felt. I have had that same conversation that you had with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a person who isn't very into sports, I thought your post was insightful because now I kind of understand why people get so emotional during games. If you're passionate about something, there's no shame in showing it.

    ReplyDelete